I had planned to be induced on October 25th. But after seeing the new doctor and Zachary being diagnosed with IUGR, they decided once I hit 37 weeks they'd induce me.
Friday, October 15, 2010 (37 weeks)
*So on Friday night at 6pm I went to the hospital to get checked in. Well when I got there the front desk informed me that L&D was full and they couldn't get me a room. So I decided to wait in the waiting room (since, at the time, I didn't think I'd be waiting too long. I actually ended up waiting about 5 hours. It was so crazy! Not away to make me happy but oh well.
*So around 11pm that night I finally got checked into my room and hooked up to the machines and found out I was contracting all on my own *yippee* and they were about a minute apart at that time. And I was NOT in pain which was awesome!
Saturday, October 16, 2010
*At 12:05am the doctor that was on call came in and checked me and I was 1cm dilated (before I was just a fingertip), they did an ultrasound and baby was still head down so we could continue with a vaginal delivery. At that time my contractions had slowed down a bit. They were every 1 to 5 minutes apart. Kept jumping around and I still wasn't in any pain, just felt the tightness from them.
*At 12:30am I got my IV put in along with the first round of Penicillin since I test positive for GBS (sadly). But no biggie. I just had to get a round of penicillin every 4 hours till I gave birth. Now I didn't like that stuff because when it went in my arm it stung like no other. The first dose was like a double dose and it made me cry. I felt like ripping the IV out and saying heck with this. But I didn't and stuck it out. I was just glad my mom was there to help talk me through it. After the IV was placed I tried to get some rest but failed ;p
*At 11:41am I was check and was at 1 1/2cm and had softened but not as much as the doctors would like.
*So at 12:35pm I had a pill put on my cervix to help make it a bit more softer. And I don't remember the name of the pill (shoot). At this point I started to actually hurt when I contracted but wasn't quite ready for the epidural so I chose some pain medication.
*At 2:17pm I was *finally* given some Morphine for my pain and oh was I in heaven. I guess it hit instantly and I was pretty dopey for a while. But I sure do love that stuff!!!
*At 5:10pm I was given the pitocin.
*At 7:16pm The doctor came in and checked me again and I was at 3cm.
*At 8:47pm I finally got the epidural.
*At 10:24pm I got checked again and I was at 3.5cm and my cervix has softened a bit more as well. *Side note from my mom ... I guess with me being all drugged up and lack of sleep I was rambling and she caught me saying to her "Mom there's a cop behind you. Make sure you're going slow." HaHa found that pretty funny. Also at this point I started to have an reaction to the epidural. My body just itched all over so I was given some Benadryl for that. I don't remember that happening when I had Allie.
Sunday October 17, 2010
*At 12:41am They broke my water (it was clear) and they also inserted an interuterine catheter to help monitor my contractions better from the cervix.
*At 4:15am They then placed an internal fetal scalp electrode on Zachary's head and they also checked to see that I was at a 5 but the doctor said he could stretch me to a 6. Side note from Nana - "mommy is very cranky and agitated, take note of very!!!"
*4:30am They decided to turn off the pitocin and let baby rest because each time I'd contract his heart rate would decelerate. They wanted to give his heart a rest and see if we resumed the pitocin if it would do the same thing. Because if it did they said we would have to talk about a c section. At that point I was so scared and worried I really wanted him out no matter how it had to happen.
*5:15am They turned the pitocin back on but at a low rate. Also I started to tell my nurse that it felt like I had to poop or push.
*5:38am The doctor rechecked me and I was fully dilated and ready to go! Baby time!!! They had me do 1 practice push and then started getting the room/team ready.
*5:57am: And just after ONE push ... Zachary arrived :)With him being small and all they had the NICU people there just in case. So right after the Todd cut the cord they took him over to the area where they cleaned and looked the baby over. I was sad that they didn't get to clean him up on my chest like with Allie. It took a good full half hour to forty-five minutes before I got to see him. But the NICU doctors said he looked great and gave him an APGAR score of 9 & 9. He definitely was bigger than we all thought but that's good.
We are so grateful to have Zachary as a part of our family. Allie is just in love with him and loves giving him kisses. Todd and I have been blessed with 2 amazing kids and we couldn't be happier!









4 comments:
Congratulations!!! That is so awesome that you only had to push once, I hope I get that lucky. :P You have a beautiful family, I love all the pictures you shared.
I love the photos, and I am so glad to hear that he is healthy and you are both doing great! I know it was scary for a while, but you did an awesome job! You have such a beautiful family!
I would have been so cranky too if I was at the hospital for as long as you were. Plus you had to get that penicillin every 4 hours, not cool. You are a trooper! Way to go through so much pain for your baby. It's so hard, but I bet you love having him out. I love you guys and am so happy he is doing well. Oh, and he is so cute. Love all the pictures!
Your boy is adorable! I hope you are having fun. Seeing all your pictures makes me sad Nixson is so big!
Post a Comment