Sunday, August 5, 2012

Speech Therapy Progress

So Zachary has been having speech therapy for about 2 months now and has had around 8 - 10 sessions with Janaya (his therapist). Now I bet your wondering how do you teach a 21 month old how to talk? I wondered the same thing. Well pretty much all Zachary and Janaya do is play! But during play time she talks to him constantly, repeating words, etc. I explained a little bit how it works under each picture so you can get it. But Zachary has started saying some words!!!! So far we know he can say:
mama
dada
nana
all done
okay (nky)
all gone
cheese/please (eese)
bye
kitty (iddy)
up (ut)
water (wawer)
whats this (uts iths)
boo
balloon (boon)
woof (oof)
stay
He's said more once but usually just signs it

Right here she'd say ON, referring to putting the toy ON his head

Here: as he throws the balloon UP she would say UP and then as it comes DOWN she'd say DOWN

She'd say OPEN/CLOSE when reading the book

IN - referring to putting the toys IN the right holes.

And with the cars, she'd make the VROOM sound when Zach would play with the car

7 comments:

Kayleigh said...

yay zach!!! keep up the great work little man!!

Nana said...

He is participating more than when I was there at the beginning of this. It appears to be working and that's great. He will be talking up a storm before you know it and we'll be asking him to shut up - ha ha Yay Zac, keep up the good work, I can't wait to be talking to you on Skype and the phone like I do with Allie :)

Tamara ViAnn said...

You'll have to keep us updated with how they teach him. I had Kipton evaluated for speech therapy and he scored a 9 out of 30 (7 or less qualifies for services). So he was right on the borderline... ugh! I'll have to try working with him like this.

ANeibaur said...

Looks like he's doing great! Congrats little guy on all of your success's!!!

Travis and Mindy Tilley said...

Melinda I have TONS of Speech websites that I use with TJ. I will msg you (or you could follow them on my Pinterest page under Education) I have one that I especially like called Testy Yet Trying (testyyettrying.blogspot.com). There are some AWESOME free printables on there for one on one with him. You can also google different sites on down syndrome and autism--I have found a lot of speech helps on some of those websites too. It can be really frustrating knowing he is struggling (TJ in the beginning could tell about 6 words and sign about 10 and the SLP said for his age he should be SAYING about 300).Good luck! It seems like he is progressing well, so that's awesome!!

Sarah said...

Progress of all sorts feels so good and refreshing! Way to go Zachary :)

Sarah said...

Progress of all sorts feels so good and refreshing! Way to go Zachary :)